Thursday, October 16, 2014

Monochromatic Gray

I like fall. Even with the fear of trees that I know this experience should have drilled into me, I still am heartbroken by the beauty of fall. So much of this world is monochromatic. Endless green in summer, endless white in winter. But it is the transitions that are the most bursting with color and the most fleeting.

It is these momentary colors that we notice. The leaves setting the branches ablaze, before falling to the ground and becoming little more than trampled garbage. The sunset bleeding out across the sky, desperately trying to hold its head above the water. The hummingbird, with such a little, quick-beating heart that it lives in constant peril of death.

I bet that if you held a hummingbird in your hand you could feel its whole body shake with the beating of its heart. It is alive, violently alive.

I would like to hold a hummingbird in my hand before I die. I think that would teach me something about the world, help me understand a universal secret. The dying are the most desperate. Screaming out to be noticed, scrambling to accomplish as much as possible. I think it is the living who should be so desperate. They have the chance to change themselves based on what they learn, while the dying just die. That is why the world can never move forward. People learn the most important secrets only as soon as it is too late to pass them on.

I am here and soon will be gone. But I don't have brilliant colors. Maybe I should paint my skin the greens and blues and burning red of the hummingbird. And then I'll be reminded of the beating of my heart every second that I live. And when I fall, I'll fall out of the sky.

11 comments:

  1. You aren't focusing hard enough at the details of autumn if you want to snatch a hummingbird from its flight. Concentrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful season, yes. I think that it represents the shedding of our old selves. I also find spring beautiful as well: new beginnings and new hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is infinite beauty and possibility in every life. Do not be so quick to allow yours to fade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Jessica, I am really sorry if I offended you with my comment on your blog. I'm really really sorry. It was not my place to tell you how to run your business. Please don't be angry with me. I am nothing to be bothered with. You surely have more important matters?

    ReplyDelete
  5. please leave me alone. I'm going to die anyway. Just let me die with my spine and my blood and my mind in my own corner. Leave me alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make me, big boy. Push Mommy back. COME ON DO IT. You can do it can't you? Huh? Huh? HUH?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not my mother. And you can't hurt me. I'm not going to let you taunt me. I've read your blog, I know who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just leave the poor fellow alone. You've got other things that you could be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to wonder, can you even leave a single comment without attempting to insult someone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You don't know who I am and you don't know where I live. You can't do anything to me. You call yourself a monster, but you're just a human. I'm safe. I'm safe I'm safe I'm safe.

    please leave me alone

    ReplyDelete